This brunch pizza is perfect for a rough morning for a number of reasons:
- It’s incredibly easy to make and requires very little awareness. Truthfully, my head hurt too much to find my rolling pin, so I peeled the sticker off a beer bottle and used that instead.
- There’s a few minutes of waiting between each step, meaning you have time to grab coffee/hair of the dog/Advil.
- It’s delicious and fulfills every carb-y, cheesy, yolky craving.
I’m really lucky to live near a mom-and-pop italian grocery stand, which sells the best homemade tomato sauce and fresh pizza dough. Find your favorites, stash them in the freezer, then thank yourself on the weekend.
[Editor’s note: This pizza is also enjoyable if you are not hungover. Show-off.]
- 1 pound of pizza dough
- 3 oz tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Bocconcini (or preferred mozzarella)
- 3-4 eggs
- Fresh basil
- Work your pizza dough and roll it out until you've reached a desired shape and size. Let rest for a few minutes, then return to work it again. Tuck it into your cast iron.
- Set cast iron on stovetop, raise heat to high and brush dough with olive oil, then season with salt and pepper. After a few minutes, add your tomato sauce and spread, leaving half an inch of the dough bare along the circumference.
- Sprinkle dough with shredded cheese, then transfer to oven. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Arrange mozzarella on pizza, then return to the oven. After a few minutes of cooking, add prosciutto.
- Cook for 5 more minutes, or until pizza reaches desired doneness. (Most pizza dough cooks within 10-15 minutes -- keep an eye on yours since all dough/ovens are different.)
- Fry or scramble eggs and arrange over the pizza. Sprinkle with fresh basil. Dig in.
© 2016, insatiably. All rights reserved.