Thanksgiving at the Sarkisov household is an all hands on deck occasion — but not when it comes to cooking. Mama Sark fences off the kitchen beginning at 8 a.m. (no, literally, with puppy fences), so the rest of us are lucky if we can tip toe in once or twice for sustenance throughout the day. It’s all worth it when she manages to single-handedly put together the most magical spread every single year.
In recent years, however, I’ve been allowed to gets my hands a little dirty as well. Once there’s a lull in action — something needs time to marinate or roast, for example — I’m allowed in to whip up a side dish or dessert that I can proudly point to and be all “yooo that one was me!”
And that’s how we landed on these carrots. Coat in honey or maple syrup (only the bougie stuff! there’s a time and place for aunt jemima), toss in the perfect combo of pantry spices and you’re good to go. Carrots have to be the chillest veg to roast, too — I have 400°F listed, but whatever temp Mama Sark has goin’ at the time will honestly work.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp good maple syrup or honey
- 1 tablespoon
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika (regular paprika also works)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne (optional, for heat)
- Salt, pepper to taste
- Prepheat oven to 400°F. Slice carrots lengthwise into halves or fourths, depending on size
- Toss carrots in olive oil and maple syrup or honey
- Sprinkle seasoning over the top and toss again
- Place on center rack and cook until desired doneness; 25 minutes for slight char
© 2016, insatiably. All rights reserved.